Friday, December 10, 2010

Responsibility

2Corinthians 13:2 I already gave you a warning when I was with you the second time. I now repeat it while absent: On my return I will not spare those who sinned earlier or any of the others, 3 since you are demanding proof that Christ is speaking through me. He is not weak in dealing with you, but is powerful among you. 4 For to be sure, he was crucified in weakness, yet he lives by God’s power. Likewise, we are weak in him, yet by God’s power we will live with him in our dealing with you.

5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test? 6 And I trust that you will discover that we have not failed the test. 7 Now we pray to God that you will not do anything wrong—not so that people will see that we have stood the test but so that you will do what is right even though we may seem to have failed. 8 For we cannot do anything against the truth, but only for the truth. 9 We are glad whenever we are weak but you are strong; and our prayer is that you may be fully restored. 10 This is why I write these things when I am absent, that when I come I may not have to be harsh in my use of authority—the authority the Lord gave me for building you up, not for tearing you down.

11 Finally, brothers and sisters, rejoice! Strive for full restoration, encourage one another, be of one mind, live in peace. And the God of love and peace will be with you.

As followers in Christ we have a responsibility to test ourselves regarding our faith. So many times we get renewed and on fire only to end up used and cold. As Christians we need to make sure that we are walking the walk and reading the word. We MUST do this even when the fire seems cold and long gone.
Like I posted the other day from psalm 116 about fulfilling your vows to the Lord. After all, Christ will marry the church in the end. Have you gotten your vows in order for him? Have you decided that no matter how you feel you'll continue reading his word and praying for renewal? Have you vowed to the Lord that you will quit habitually sinning? Maybe it's time for us to get our vows in order and make a commitment to our Savior.
Verse 9 talks about being fully restored. I ask that Christ fully restore me from my sinful life. I ask that he forgives me and washes my sin white as snow. I must admit, I'm a pretty poor bride. My vows were first made on the easiest of terms and yet I still lapsed again and again. Like a dog returning back to his vomit, there I was. I vow something different now. Something on purpose and sacrificial. Something to honor my Lord and Savior. He's so worth it. And I am so not, but I want to do everything I possibly can do to be holy and live a righteous life and not trample on the cross. I want to be at the foot of the cross on my knees and not out laughing and casting lots for his garments. I want to be with him in the garden praying and not a Judas betraying him with my kiss. I VOW TO MAKE HIM LORD OF MY LIFE.


No comments:

Post a Comment